Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Ansuz

Ansuz
Ancient Rune: Ansuz

My rune is Ansuz. It chose me. At first I was perplexed: why, of all runes, this ancient god? I expected a leaf, a deer, the sky--some symbol of nature--not this.

Then I began to read, and was touched: "god-breathed," it says; "the passing of breath from parent to child." Life, from one generation to the next. It is a beautiful, poignant thought. It immediately brought to my mind the image of Lily Potter giving her life so that her son could continue to live and breathe. But along with the breath of life, it is essential to pass ideas, thoughts, memories, and knowledge. 

This is the power of the Ansuz rune. It symbolizes language and creativity. I thought of Robert Frost's poem, The Tuft of Flowers. I "feel a spirit kindred to my own." I leave my mark. Another, finding it, may be inspired to leave a mark of their own. Language is a gift of insight from God. The Ansuz rune symbolizes the passage of ideas to all mankind. Ansuz traits encompass poetry, creativity, conscious thought, and inspiration. We find meaning in our universe. We create symbols and names, to share our insights. These "Ansuz" personality traits immediately resonated with me. This is surely my rune.

Interestingly, "action" is beyond the energy of Ansuz, which only inspires. A wise man once told me I think too much. "Just paint!" he said. I do tend to think and think and think. (It's a Ravenclaw thing.) Sometimes, this is good, but it can lead to procrastination--a trait I have mastered all too well. This is a blind spot for the Ansuz personality: over-conceptualization, faith in labels, casting aside essence. We must use language to further human thought, not to limit it. I was reminded of this Bible verse: “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1) To label the visible and knowable, while casting aside "things not seen" is a trap for the Ansuz personality. 
 
Ansuz: Inspire, create, communicate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment