Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Dinky, My Little House Elf

Dinky the House Elf
  Dinky: Art by D.K.Pritchett, blog owner

My mother was given the elf, Dinky, upon her marriage to my father. When Mother died, she left Dinky to me. I call her "Dink." Dink has curly, dark chestnut hair, big, blue eyes, and a long, pointy nose, which she pinches in hopes of making it petite. She wears a plain white-linen toga--rather amazingly white, because my grandmother long ago sprayed it with her secret "Freshina" potion. 
       My mother had hopes of expanding Dink's wardrobe to include some pretty chintz or toile, but the poor creature was mortified and thought she was being turned out of our house. It was with great difficulty that Mother convinced the poor little soul that Raven's Rest would always be her home. We think she finally feels secure, though her forever frowny forehead says otherwise, as if she has waited these decades for the other shoe to drop. Upon my mother's death, I pressed upon Dink a plain little pair of natural pearl earrings, which she had always admired. She was aghast, until I showed her pictures of muggle cattle with ear tags and of Charlie Weasley's marked dragons. I explained that it was a sign of my ownership, like a brand. She accepte that story and is quite proud to be so lovingly stamped as "owned."

Harry Potter Fan Fiction. 
Originally written for Azkaban Escapees, a Facebook group. In my original story and paper sketch, Dinky's nose was tiny. When I created the digital version, I made it big.

No comments:

Post a Comment